SharePoint Basics Advanced Tutorial

SharePoint Basics Advanced Tutorial Christina Tedesco: Hello, and welcome to SharePoint fundamentals with learned. My name is Christina Tedesco, and I will be your instructor for this course. If you're enjoying these videos, please like, and subscribe. If you have any questions you want answered by one of our instructors, please join our offsite community. The link is in the description as well as always. If this course has exercise files, you will find them in the video description. Welcome back, everyone. All right. So up until now, we've done a lot of work in this library, right? We're in our sales contracts library, we talked about a lot of things in here..

We know how to change the view, add information, add an approval process, customize the view, settings, everything along those lines. So that's great, but there's another option that SharePoint has to allow you to hold information and review it for yourself and your team members. And we're going to talk about that now that's something called a list. So in addition to a document library, SharePoint has something called lists that allows you to input information, to see very easily and in a very organized fashion, the type of detail or the data for an item or a group of items that you may be looking for..

So let's create a list and show you how it's valuable to you and your SharePoint site. So I'm going to start here on the homepage. Okay. Where I can be at my highest level to create my assets and my information from my SharePoint site. And you see right here, you have the new option. So right underneath that list over here, where we would be able to make another document library, if you wanted to a page, a post, anything like that, along those lines, we're going to create a list from here. So let's just start here to make a new list and you have a few options right out of the box. So we can make a blank list. We could actually import data from Excel and we'll look at something like that..

In a later chapter, we can also make a list from an existing list or SharePoint offers some of the box templates out here that are fairly common for organizations to use, to give you some predefined settings and predefined columns to kind of give you a jumpstart on your list. So we're going to start with a blank list. Okay. So we're going to create everything ourselves while we know what we want to do, you know, so we can, we can handle it on. So let's just start there. There was simply to start off, what you need to do is make it a name. Let's say this list is going to hold all of our parts or items that.

We're selling in our organizations that are salesmen are doing. Okay. So this is going to be an inventory of our parts that we have in our company that the salesmen are selling. Okay. Let's just say it's that. So we're going to call this name, parts inventory, and the description is inventory of parts available for sale. I like that available for sale. All right. Now you have an option here to show at your navigation over here on the side. I'm going to say yes, cause that's gonna make it much easier for my teammates.

To find what I'm creating for them. I'm going to click create. Okay, so out of the box, here's what you get. It's not much, but we're going to add onto this. So this is my new list. Everything's blank. I got nothing in here so far. A title column is by default, something that's required for SharePoint. This column is the primary column that's used for searching and indexing. So with absolutely required. Now a title is not a good description for the columns. So you are free to change this to be whatever you want it to.

SharePoint Basics Advanced Tutorial

Be, to make it more relevant to what you want to put in here. But it's not a column that you can remove from your list. Okay. So let's use it to the best of, um, advantage. So we're going to rename this two part name. Okay. That makes more sense to me. All right. And I'm going to add a couple columns here to get some more information. Let's say, I want to add, uh, every part's got a number, so let's put a number, I guess, that part. Okay. And it tells you some defaults you can pick here depending on the data type. I'm just going to keep everything default and just keep it simple..

I mean, let's add another column. I'm going to call this the part description. Okay. It can be a single lab text and you can see this process that I'm going is exactly the same as we did in the document library. So this should be fairly familiar to you if you listen to our other chapter on modifying views in libraries. Okay. I'm just going to pick them line defaults here. And I'll add two more columns. I want to know when it's available from, and when it's available too, because let's say not all parts are available throughout the entire year..

So I'm going to make this a date and time. I'm going to say available from part is this date. And, uh, yeah, I want to do it in time. I don't want the time on here. I see the date, no default values. I'm fine with that. And then we're going to do another column. I'm going to say it's available to all right. Let's see part is available to this date,.

Current value. Okay. That's cool. I'm happy with that. Okay. So now that we've created our list, let's put some records in this list. All right. So we're in here, we're in the right spot. We're just going to say new part name. The widget part number is your zero zero one. Let's call it one zero, zero one part description is, would you what'd you what'd you very descriptive available from.

1st of November to the end of November. See that another part, this is going to be a wonky part. Number two. Part description won't get four available from, and this is going to be available from the 14th to 17th..

And one last one, guys, get the idea here. I'm just going to be thinking part number two. Let's make this four part description thingy available from November 30th. Choose. The end of the year. All right, cool. So you can see right now you have your items here and you can, you know, make some modifications, like, for example, this part number, maybe.

    I don't want these comments in here. Right? I mean, I don't want my numbers to told like that it's just a regular number.

    So let's go into column settings, let's edit this and let's go into more options and let's take that away so that it looks better as we go. That's where I'm going to see everything else looks okay. I like my dates. I have my description. This is the only information that I need to see. So this is good. Also what you can see here are the same options that are in the library..

    We can sort this, we can create groups, we can edit this view. We can say the view. So you have the same options here that you had in your library to be able to customize this view and see this information. That's easiest for you. All right. So in this lesson, we did two things. We created a list and we added records to a list. We looked at other lists templates that SharePoint has to offer out of the box. We started with a blank one..

    We created our columns, we customized our columns and we added it in our information. All right. Thank you very much for joining me in this lesson and I'll see you in the next one. Welcome back everyone. Okay. In the last chapter we talked about lists and how to create them and add content. I want to show you one valuable. Feature that SharePoint has called link lists. That's really handy to put in a set of default bookmarks, say for your organization or your team to make information really easy to find..

    So we're going to do that in this chapter. So in my communications team site here, starting from the home page to create a link list, that's already predefined by SharePoint. It's a little bit different than making a new list. This is actually an app. Okay. So we're going to add this app into our site and create some customized bookmarks with some URLs to make information really easy to find for our team members. So from here, we're going to start in the same spot. We're going to start in new and we're going to actually pick up. And if you remember in prior lessons were here before, and what we want to do is go.

    Into the SharePoint store and start from the classic experience to see all the applications that are available to us. So in the site contents, in the, your apps to fall page, you get here again, the list of apps that we can add. So all we're going to do is a writ a search for the app called links. Here we go. And right up here, here, it is basic links. This is going to give me a list with columns that are already set up specifically for links. All right. So let me click on that. And I'm going to use this for making bookmarks for my site..

    So I'm going to name this bookmark and I get right in here. It's added to my contents. You can see here, the type of information it is. It's a link list as called bookmark. Let's go in here. And see what's going on. So I have two columns here by default. My first one is URL. The next one is notes, and I can add in any more columns that I want to now, what I want to do here as added a few items or a few URLs to make some specific.

    Content, really easy for my users to find. So let's just say, I'm going to let them do searches on the internet and define for them, you know, the search engines that are the best for them to use. Let's just say that. So we're just going to keep it simple and we're going to put in Google, give it some alt text and give it notes, which can be our description, uh, search with Google. I don't know. I'm going to save that. I didn't like what I typed. Cause it probably didn't tape it the most correct way that I could. So let me make sure I do that. I'm actually going to paste the URL in here..

    There we go. It likes that. Okay. And then right here, it's a link right away. It links to Google and let's put it in another one. We'll do Microsoft being on here and I'm going to get smart and I'm going to paste it in from the get-go search, actually big bang. Boom. There it is. Okay. So now right away in here from those lists, I can just click in here..

    I can get to exactly where I need to be, get read into the landing page that you want your users to be able to get to really easy way to create a URL link list in here by SharePoint. Now, something like this is really handy, Danny, to have like on your homepage for your most relevant content that you want to show your users, we'll be creating pages and adding content to those pages in future chapters. And this link list is one web part, but we'll be adding in there. All right. So I look forward to seeing you on the next lesson and thanks for taking this one..

    Okay. In this chapter, we're going to stand lists. We're going to talk about another type of list that was actually very useful called a task list.

    Right? And also the difference on how this comes out of the box from SharePoint, as opposed to the links list and custom lists that we created. Again, this is some of that's very useful to help your organization organize content and kind of track a, to do list with the things that you have to do for your team or your group. So let's do that. So in my communications team site, again, starting from the same spot, this also is a predefined application. So we wouldn't do this enlist. We would do the snaps. So we were just here..

    I know you're very familiar with this process, so we're just going to click right into the classic experience and we're gonna search on task. It's actually right here. Wait, I've taught. So it's kind of one of noteworthy apps as SharePoint calls it. One that's frequently used and most popular. Users frequent to put in the SharePoint site. So we don't have to search for it. It's right here. This is exactly what we want. So this is great. Okay. So I'm just going to click on this and I'm going to call this my salesman's task lists. Let's say these salesmen have to do some specific things, right? So I want to make sure that this is organized and I'm keeping track of.

    Everything that everybody needs to do. So I'm going to call this salesman, test this, and I'm going to create, okay. So again, I'm defaulted to my site contents. And down here, you can see the salesman task. This was created type his task list. It's got its own specific icon in here because it's got some specific information already predefined for it. So let's take a look and see what that's all about. Okay. So you can see this looks a little bit different, right? I have a lot of detail on here that I can see right out of the box. So..

    By default I have on here, a timeline that I can track tasks against. I can search in here to find an item by default. I have the task name, the due date and who it's assigned to. Now, if you think that this view looks a little bit different than our other lists and libraries you're right. This is actually, what's known as a classic view in SharePoint. And this application was created with the classic templates that SharePoint had before it went into the modern sites. Now that's okay..

    We're still able to use it in our modern site. We just see that extra detail that was created for us when this application was implemented by SharePoint. So let's add a new task in here. Okay. I'm going to click on new task test. Name's going to be upload latest contracts. Okay. Cause it's something that I need the team to do to make sure that I have all the information for what they're selling. And I want this person to start this on Monday and I'm going to ask him to have it done by Friday..

    Okay. Now, who do you want to do with this task? You have to assign it to someone I'm going to give this to Tony, right? And when you start typing in the name, the user has to have access to the site, obviously. So the resource will show in the dropdown when you start typing for what the matches select them. And I'm going to say save. All right. So here's my duty. Here is who it's assigned to. And here's what the task is..

    I also want to make a task for myself and I was going to be to review contracts. Okay. Let's say I need to make sure that I set myself a reminder to do that, and I want to make sure I start that on the 15th and I'm going to need to really finish that by the 18th. Okay. I'm going to sign this to myself. Okay. Now, for some reason I'm not coming up here when the assigned to list that's okay. We'll just leave this blank and I'll fill it in when I'm able to get the right address of the right person. Let's say, we'll say it like that. Okay. Okay. So I have two tasks here..

    So this is great, and I want to add them to this timeline so I can really see very simply who's got to do what, when so quick on those action buttons, you see some detail who it's assigned to how many days it's due from right now. You can open it to look at it. You can create a subtask underneath. That'll give you kind of a hierarchy. If I want to get more specific, let's try that really quick. And I want to say upload TG Y contract. Let's just say it as a company that I really want to make sure that he sees that. And I want this to happen sooner than six days from now. I'm best to happen..

    Let's say on the fourth and Tony's got to do this also. Right. That's great. Now you can see here is a subtask underneath the major one. So it's something else that he has to do that has a shorter timeframe. So I'm going to add this task to my timeline. I have it on there, and I'm going to add this task to my time and also so that I can see when that one is due as well. So this one's giving me an error message. Uh, probably because it says it was due on Thursday and today's the sixth..

    So it's a day that's before the day is that I'm creating this so I can see right away that there's something that I need to fix. Okay, fine. We're going to give Tony until the ninth to do that. All right. SharePoint likes that much better. That's great. That's very helpful. And I now have an accurate date to get for my list item. That's underneath the main item that Tony has to do for both of these tasks. All right. Okay. So some more options that we have on here is we have a calendar..

    This is really handy, dandy to see in a calendar view, what the tasks are. You can click in here and see the details, what the dates are that they're from or two. So that looks great. We can also see here, what tasks have been completed. If there have been any, we don't have any completed yet. So I don't see anything in there also, but this has really a great out of the box set up that SharePoint offers to let you create lists specifically for your resources to show tasks, they have to get done and then keep.

    All your information organized. Now you can see here for some reason, my day changed. Didn't save. No, that's okay. We'll just make sure that we do it right this time. So let's edit this item and let's go back in here and flip back in the ninth and make sure we save it. And good. Now we're good to go. All right. So we talked about lists. We created a task list and SharePoint. This is a really great feature that they have here to make tasks really organized and easy to find. We talked about making the task list in the site..

    We created some tasks. We looked at the calendar view to show how you can see when the tasks are due, based by calendar date. And we added some of those tasks to the timeline. So how have you guys found this useful SharePoint? Again has a lot of really great out of the box applications already built or organize information. I think this covers everything that we need to know about tasks for right now. What we'll talk about next is pages in SharePoint, how to create pages, customize that information, making sure again, you're showing the most relevant content to your user base..

    Thanks very much for listening to this lesson and I'll see you in the next one. Hey, everyone. Welcome back. All right. There's actually one more thing I want to talk about on lists and SharePoint. One way that we can create a list is to upload the list from an Excel spreadsheet or an Excel file. And that's really handy since you more than likely have the information you want in a list in an Excel sheet. You just want to now put it on your SharePoint site so you can share it with the rest of your. So let's talk through how to make that happen. Starting from the homepage and the communications team site that.

    We have, we're going to start in the same spot, select new, and we're going to go into list this time to create a list from Excel. Okay. So the options right here up top, it's very easy to find. Now, before we do this, a couple of things you need to know to make sure that your XL spreadsheet is set up correctly. So I'm going to show you here, the sheet that we're going to be uploading. I'm going to put in some customers from my salesmen on my site. Here's my sheet. I just need to make sure it's formatted as a table. All right. Because SharePoint is going to upload the information in a table format..

    So right here on the home ribbon for my Excel, I'm using an Excel desktop. You can see right here, format as table. I think there's just some formatting options. We really don't care. I'm just going to pick this one. Yes. My table has headers and yes, I'm confirming the range that I want to make it into a table. I'm going to say, okay, you can see the view kind of change a little bit. And now this spreadsheet in this customer's workbook is set up as a table. Perfect. That's exactly what I want. So I'm going to make sure I save this and I close out of here and now it's ready.

    To be uploaded as a SharePoint list. So let's do that. So from Excel, it's going to ask me to upload my file. And it's loading the tables. Here's my table. And here is a preview of the information. I'm just going to scan it, make sure that it looks right. You can see up here, it default to the datatype right on top of the column header. If you wanted to change it, you could, you can see right here. The very first column is always going to be referenced as the title column. Remember we talked about title column. It's the one that SharePoint really needs. It's going to be the search and index column for your list..

    So it's using customer ID, which is perfect. That's my unique identifier for this spreadsheet. So that works out perfectly. If that didn't work out perfectly, you can change it so you can change that title to be another column reference in your SharePoint spreadsheet. Generally best practice. You always want to make it the first column in your spreadsheet, just FYI. All right. So I think everything else looks good. These are single line of texts. Yep. I'm okay with that. And that looks fine. Postal codes. I could change as number, but now let's leave it as text for right now..

    Phone number again. Same thing. Maybe I wanted to format this as something else. I have a couple of options here. I'm going to let it upload as is, and then make any customizations I need once it gets into SharePoint. Okay. All right. So I'm good with this. So let's just say next here's our name. So it kind of gave it this funky name because it may get like an online copy of this. So we want to fix that, right? So we just want to say customers, I just want to call it customers. That's it. And I'm just going to call this active customers..

    And I do want to show this in my second navigation. So I'm good with that. So depending on how big your list is, obviously it might take more than a few seconds. Here it is. I'm right here in the list, right? When it's uploaded, Hey, this looks pretty nice. Right? I like this. I have my titles here is my names, my contact names, my addresses. This is my all items view. I have everything in here. This is fantastic. Okay. So, boom. That was really easy. Okay. Right. I went in here, I found my spreadsheet. I uploaded it in here's all my columns..

    I have all the same options to sit there and sort it and group by. I can edit it. I can format the column. I can do everything I can do when a regular list. All right. So hope you find this helpful. Here's a really easy way to create a list with a predefined template or table in your Excel workbook. So this makes creating lists much easier. Thanks very much for listening to this lesson and I'll see you then. Greetings everyone. And welcome back. Okay. In this chapter, I want to talk about how SharePoint integrates.

    With the Microsoft office programs. So one thing that Microsoft does really well is talk to other Microsoft programs really well. So the way SharePoint works is everything you see and capture in your SharePoint site. You can also use seamlessly with your office 365 applications, and we're going to show that in this chapter. Okay. So let's take a look at one of our SharePoint sites. So starting here from my home page, in my SharePoint collection, I'm going to look at this site..

    I have here team S T E C T. So let's just go in here and see what we have, not a lot of content yet, just the default setup. And that's fine. Over here on the left hand side, in your nav bar, you can see a few predefined links for communications and collaborations here, right on the homepage of the site. You can see here. If I go into conversations and I click in there, I'm automatically taken into the web version of outlook to pull in what kind of communications I have in there..

    So when this comes up, this is going to show me all my emails and all my groups and links to my other office applications here directly from the SharePoint site. Now you can see here, I have a group that is the same name as the SharePoint site, SharePoint integrates with groups and teams to make sure the same resources have access to the same information across all of your office, 365 applications. So you can see here. If I click it here, I have this one email and here that just was.

    An alert that my group was created. And you can see here. If I look in my actual desktop office application and I click on that same group, that's already integrated into outlook because it's been created on a SharePoint site that I have access to. I see that same email right here. Now I can communicate through either one of these application interfaces. I can send an email here from outlook, if I'm doing my emails or I can come in here..

    And the outlook web client that was initiated through SharePoint and do the same thing. Um, okay. Now if I send that off, I pretty much just sent it to myself. So if I look in my email, From my outlook client. There it is. I can see it here. I got it. And this same information is in the sent folder here that came from the web client that was opened up through SharePoint. Now, if I wanted to send it to the group,.

    I could do that as well. So this is two, this is the team. Here's my test. Do a quick refresh. There it is there. And then in my outlook client, obviously I have the same information. Okay. So this is a very, very simple demonstration on how outlook for communications is integrated into your SharePoint site, through the conversation.

    Link that's on your default homepage. Now another handy feature here is for the calendars in outlook also. So if I navigate back to my SharePoint site and let's see if I have a calendar application set up here. Yes, I do. Great. If I go into my calendar, that's managed on my SharePoint site. And I sync this to my outlook.

    By just creating the sync link from the calendar ribbon in the application on the SharePoint site, what happens is in my outlook application, the information is sinked from when I enter a new event or a meeting in my SharePoint calendar to what has to be shown or what I can see in my outlook application. So super simple example, let's just go on here and add a test event.

    DISCLAIMER: In this description contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I'll receive a small commission. This helps support the channel and allows us to continue to make videos like this. All Content Responsibility lies with the Channel Producer. For Download, see The Author's channel. The content of this Post was transcribed from the Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7RXGd_PQ70
Previous Post Next Post